Terrible game Saturday night? Head over to Raw Charge for Cassie's recap of the game. Tokarski made his NHL debut in the game replacing Niitymaki after he let in 5 goals. Tokarski was not the only goalie to see his first NHL game on Saturday night, in Vancouver the Penguins' 4th string WHL goalie Alex Petrusky also made his NHL debut replacing John Curry after he also let in 5 goals. Toka made 5 saves in the 3rd period for the Lightning
- Mike Smith was sent back to Tampa. According to the athletic trainer it was not due to a setback, instead it was because it was decided that Smith wouldn't be ready to play the games in the current road trip, that he was sent back to Tampa to recover
- Smaby who was out with a concussion says that he is ready to play, so there is a chance he might be in the lineup for Monday night against Carolina
- Niitymaki will start in net against the Hurricanes
- The Lightning management have fired the head coach of the Norfolk Admirals Darren Rumble on Saturday and have name Jim Johnson as the new head coach
It's at the point in the game where there is 4:39 left in the 1st period and the Lightning are down 2-1. Vokoun throws his stick to block Malone trying to stuff the puck in on a wrap around and no penalty shot was awarded, instead another McCabe roughing penalty gets called.no comments
I'm sorry, are we playing this team again? The last game was not aired where I live, and from the discussion I had with other fans, well maybe it was better off that the game wasn't aired as it was less than stellar. I don't expect this game to be available to me either. Fantastic. the only gold moment to come out of last game was Tokarski as backup, and the TBLightning twitter shared THIS pic.
Enemy blog: Check out the Litter Box Cats
Niitymaki is in net again, with Tokarski as backup. Enjoy your weekend peoples, see Raw Charge for their recap since mine will not exist.
- Todd Fedoruk is out
- Mike Smith is day to day with a cervical strain
- Matt Smaby is out with an upper boday injury
Bloguin's January NHL power rankings is up, click here to view them.
Your Tampa Bay Lightning has increased 6 spots to #23 since the last rankings were done. Check out the full list to see what other bloguin bloggers are saying about the other teams.no comments
I can't believe this night happened. Did tonight happen? Did we seriously win 7-4? Is life real? Why does Backstrom look like he fights worse than a girl?
Do these players still think they are trying out for Team Canada?
- Holy powerplay goals batman! There were 6 powerplay goals between the two teams tonight. Sounds fantastic and all, but that just points to the fact that way too many penalties were taken
- Do the goalies just stop trying to stop the puck on a powerplay?
- Mike Smith left the game with an upper body injury
- And then I read this on Erik Erlendsson's twitter:
What is a cervical strain exactly? I feel like this injury should apply to men.
Click "Read More" to continue...
There was a circus in town in Tampa, and it just left St. Petersburg on Sunday....or is it returning to the ice tonight against the Capitals? Something to ponder.
Oh, and someone over in Lightning marketing thinks that Jeff Schultz (#55) and Zenon Konopka are a key selling point for ticket buyers, clearly that's why they used this picture as their front splash on their website to promote buying tickets to the game.
Enemy blog: Check out the Miz over at Fight for Old DC
This is the second meeting between the two teams. The first meeting we lost 3-0 at home, so tonight we'll have to do better. This weekend was weird with a big win in New Jersey on Friday and Sunday, and a lackluster effort on Saturday night in Philly. We will play the Caps again at the end of the month on January 31st, then 3 times in the month of March on the 4th, 12th and 20th.
Washington has had some changes since last saw them. Ovechkin is now the captain, they no longer have Chris Clark or Milan Jurcina and now have Jason Chimera. They also just schooled the Thrashers over Saturday night, 8-1. Ouch.
The Caps are now 3-0 since Ovechkin took over the captaincy and since they play the Lightning, Panthers and Leafs this week, may keep going full speed ahead with their wins.
The Lightning spend the next two games at home, playing the Panthers next before heading out on the road for a bit of a stragely put together trip mileage-wise. The Lightning practised this morning in Brandon as the ice wasn't ready yet after the circus that was in town. The Lightning have lost the last 12 straight games to the Capitals so a win would be nice...
- Mike Smith is in goal
- Blair Jones cleared waivers and is in Norfolk
Continuing the game from Friday night, Lightning managed to hold on to their lead through the remainder of the game today in Newark. The rosters had to be the same (except for legitimate injuries), meaning that Halpern was back up in the press box.
- Stamkos added another goal tonight to keep the Lightning's 3 goal lead over the Devils after Zajac had scored halfway through the 3rd. He ended up with 2 goals and 1 assist in the game
- Parise scored another goal for the Devils at 19:26, but by the game was too far out of their reach
- Meszaros who was a scratch Friday played tonight since Smaby is out with an injury from the game against the Flyers, and Hale was in for Ohlund as Ohlie was out with a stomach virus.
This was the last meeting between the two clubs for the regular season and I was pleased that we were able to keep the lead through the game. It's kind of a curious idea to start a game when you are already down by 3 and have had two days to think about the situation. I wonder what the mentality in the room for the Devils was going in to it? The team has to tell themselves that they needed at least 4 goals to come up with the win or maybe there wasn't as much pressure to win since they were already so far behind?
Next game is against the Caps on Tuesday in Tampa.no comments