29 April 2011
Record: Lightning 0 Capitals 0
Previous games: During the regular season the Lightning went 2-4-0Game time: 7:00pm EST on TSN (HD), Versus (HD), RDS (HD) and on the radio
It's Game 1 against the Caps where the Caps come in as the favorite to win the series. The boys have a tough set of games in front of them.
While it was a great story to advance to the second round, the Pens that we faced were missing two of their best players. The Capitals don't have the same injury problems that the Penguins.
The Lightning come into tonight with a three game win streak whereas the Caps finished their series against the Rangers last Saturday after five games. They have had a quite few days to rest and prepare for tonight but will this impact their game having so much time off?
All of the games that the Caps played were close low scoring games, so we might see the same in their series. If that's the case, both goaltenders who have played stellar in round 1, will be again a key to this series.
Now leading up to the game coach Boucher is doing some talking, calling this series a David v. Goliath. Boudreau calls this "crap". And if you watched the BBC's Bibles Buried Secrets, apparently David v. Goliath is crap. But whatever, Boucher is just talking to keep up the mental game in the papers so let's not fuss too much about it. If the Lightning are a really weak team, then we'll lose, no sense talking about it before the series has even started.
- Lightning injuries: None
- Lightning scratches: same as last game
- The Lightning has called up three more players from Norfolk as per press release issued today: Marc-Antoine Pouliot, Mike Angelidis and Mathieu Roy
- Capitals injuries: Mike Knuble, Tom Poti, Dennis Wideman
Your pre-game reading links:
- Official Lightning preview
- Raw Charge game preview
- Game 3 has been set to for 6:30pm EST on Tuesday. It will air locally on SUN
- Will a Stamkos-Ovechkin rivalry start from this series?
- The team won't use fatigue as their excuse (Washington Post)
- James Mirtle asks: is this series a defensive battle?
- ESPN has a pre-game report (lots of good stuff to read in it)
- Jarpers Rink tries to explain Boucher's 1-3-1 system