27 October 2010
It feels like a slow week with two days between each game that the Lightning play. Tonight is the first of the four meeting we'll have with the Pens. Both teams have a similar record coming into tonight's game with the Pens at 5-3-1 and the Lightning coming in with 5-2-1.
- Head over to The Pensblog for your opposition blog coverage. If you have some extra time while on the Pensblog, I do suggest for you to check out a girl that I met during the Vancouver Olympics, Ali, who brought along pensblog Charlie on her Disney trip. Charlie does princesses? Somehow that doesn't seem like his cup of tea.
- Also check out the girls over at the Puck Huffers for some blingee Stamkos photos that I have failed to provide you the loyal reader so far in the history of LHB
So last year Stamkos tied Crosby with most goals in the season at 51. In the nine games played so far Sid has six goals and five assists. Our boy Steven has eight goals and seven assists in eight games. Based on what we've so far, how many goals do you think it's going to take to win the Rocket Richard this year?
Before their overtime loss against St. Louis on Saturday night the Pens were on a 4 game win streak. Tonight, Arron Asham is expected to make his regular season debut in the black and gold after coming off of a shoulder injury that he sustained during a pre-season game.
The Lightning, er, to be more specific, Dan Ellis, is trying to forget about Cody Franson's breakaway goal from Sunday in the bolts' 4-3 loss to the Predators. He can think about that goal while he hanging out on the bench because Mike Smith will get the start tonight in goal.
But the big story coming in to tonight is the injuries that the Lightning have on their roster. In addition to the IR resident Mattias Ohlund, he's joined by Simon Gagne (neck), Dominic Moore (groin), Brett Clark (wrist) and Matt Smaby (stomach virus). The first of the possibly call-ups happened yesterday with Blair Jones being called up from Norfolk.
Tonight at the St. Pete Times Forum it's 'Go Green Night'. So if you bring old Penguins gear, or a better idea here: six plastic bottles/aluminum cans you can receive discounted tickets. But better yet, if you ride your bike to the game you can get a FREE ticket!?!?!? This comes with bike parking AND a tune-up for your bike. I'm totally serious writing this, full details can be found here on the Lightning website.
Mattias Ohlund is back in the line up as per Erik Erlendsson's twitter. He'll be playing limited minutes in his first game of the regular season. Dominic Moore is out.
- Mike Smith will get the start in goal
- Mattias Ohlund (knee), and Simon Gagne (neck) are confirmed out for the game
- Injuries for the Pens: Zbynek Michalek (shoulder), Jordan Staal (foot)
Your pre-game reading links:
Game time: 7:30pm EST on SUN (HD)
*Updates to follow on our injury situation later in the day