21 October 2010
That's what the top of the conference looks like. As you can see, Tampa is the only team with an overall minus in the top 5. Ponder that.
Tonight is the first in a back-to-back game for the Lightning. Tonight we take on the Islanders and tomorrow night we head up to Atlanta to take on the Thrashers. The Islanders are on their father-son trip and are in Tampa tonight before heading to Sunrise on Saturday.
Enemy Blog: Head over to Islanders Hockey Blog for your opposition coverage
This is the first of four games that we'll play against the Islanders. I'm a little late with the preview so just a few notes on the game and some links.
This will be the first time since signing a contract with the Islanders, that last year's Lightning fan favorite Zenon Konopka will play his former team. He provided entertainment last year during a season where there was really none. Lots of people didn't like that he's not on the team anymore, but looking at his style of play (dropping the gloves) and Boucher's system (smart hockey), it wasn't really a good fit. That being said, lamenting his absence on the team will be the talk going into tonight's game.
As for other former players, Sean Bergenheim will play his former team for the first time and Nate Thompson, who was claimed off of waivers last year in January, plays his former team for the second time in a Lightning jersey.
- Dan Ellis will get the start in goal
- Vinny is a game time decision
- Mattias Ohlund is out with inflammation in his right knee
Your pre-game reading links:
- Will Vinny play tonight? He's got a splint on right now
- Cristodero chats with Zenon Konopka
- Official Lightning preview
- Raw Charge's game preview
- And if you missed it from earlier in the week, I wrote over on RC about why tandem goalies were the best choice for the Lightning this year
Game time: 7:30pm EST on SUN (HD) and on the radio at 620 WDAE